dinsdag 3 april 2018

Shopping day @ Berlin - vegan fair-trade ethical



In this post I’ll describe my 1 day experience of fair-trade, ethical shopping in Berlin and eating vegan.

I arrived on Friday evening and had a shopping day on Saturday (it will be harder, now I could even fly in, on the morning, since my day really only started around 10h30, could also exchange order to make it maybe more efficient).

The to cover distance showed to be +-25km, so I decided to use the public transportation to move around.

I bought at the reception in my hotel a ticket called ‘Berlin WelcomeCard’, which was for 2 days @ 19,90€ and valid on all transportation in the AB zone (I mainly used U & S lines - it is very similar to London public transportation, now I found it slightly more complex).


At the reception I also took the city map, like you can see on the pictures here below and that allowed me to get around.



The first time I use the Berlin WelcomeCard I had to stamp it in the machine like on the picture, now you can find the stamp machine inside the Metro, Tram, Bus… as well. This validates the ticket and is the start of, for me, 48-hours.


What I really wanted to visit in Berlin, is what is called the Vegan street or Vegan Avenue, ‘Schivelbeiner Strasse’. I imagined it a bit like for example ‘Little China in San Francisco’, which was expecting a bit too much unfortunately.

To get there I went off at ‘Schönhauser Allee’ station, now I had to walk the complete street to reach the ‘Vegan Street’, it is in fact closer to the Behm-str. And I went back via the ‘Bornholmer Str.’ station, which looked to me as a better stop to get there.

On the street I in fact found 3 vegan shops near each other (creating a little street), which is great, now I was expecting the ‘Disneyland’ for vegans and so slightly disappointed.


It is nevertheless a place to visit for vegans in Berlin.

Attention the shops, in my case, on Saturday, only opened at 11h, in the meantime you can take nice breakfast at Veganz (I hope they still have some vegan croissants for you, in my case they hadn’t).

Avesu is a vegan shoes shop (Schivelbeinerstraße 35, 10439 Berlin).


Reviews:
https://www.happycow.net/reviews/avesu-berlin-29550

DearGoods is a vegan clothes shop (Schivelbeinerstraße 35, 10439 Berlin).



Reviews:
https://www.happycow.net/reviews/deargoods-berlin-35314

Veganz, is a vegan only supermarket, this is definitely the ‘Disneyland’ of the supermarkets, never seen so many vegan articles on such a small place (Schivelbeinerstraße 34, 10439 Berlin).



Reviews:
https://www.happycow.net/reviews/veganz-schivelbeiner-strasse-berlin-27300

For the next stop, I went off at ‘Ostkreutz’ station, and a small walk brought me to.

Loveco is a clothes shop (Sonntagstraße 29, 10245 Berlin).


Reviews:
https://www.happycow.net/reviews/loveco-berlin-54508

Stoffbruch is a clothes shop (Friedrichshain, Wühlischstr. 15, 10245 Berlin).


Avesu is a vegan shoes shop, I found this one slightly bigger than the one in the Schivelbeinerstraße (Warschauerstraße 33, 10243 Berlin).



Review:
https://www.happycow.net/reviews/avesu-berlin-41771



Only when I arrived, I realized that the restaurant I reserved for the evening (The Bowl) was at the same location as Avesu and there is on that same spot also a Veganz supermarket.

Note that close to Warschauerstraße 33, 10243 Berlin is also the The East Side Gallery - street art on Berlin wall of which my pictures can be found over here.


I walked to a place I found on another blog to have lunch, called, the Lab Kitchen ( Schleusenufer 4, 10997 Berlin-Kreuzberg).



Review:
https://www.happycow.net/reviews/lab-kitchen-berlin-116539

Although the salad I had was great, it is vegetarian and the vegan choice is not so big.


Wile walking to the Lab Kitchen, I came across Die Rebellion Des Zimtsterns which looked afterwards like maybe a better choice for a cosy place to eat, the Lab Kitchen was more a sport community cafeteria.

Die Rebellion Des Zimtsterns (Schlesische Str.38, Berlin-Kreuzberg, Berlin, Germany, 10997).


Review:
https://www.happycow.net/reviews/die-rebellion-des-zimtsterns-berlin-26427

I continued walking till.

Standard Saubere Sachen is a clothes shop (Reuterstraße 53, 12047 Berlin Neukölln)


Möeon is a clothes shop (Schönleinstraße 10, 10967 Berlin Kreuzberg).


Homage Store is a clothes shop (Dieffenbachstraße 15, 10967 Berlin Kreuzberg).



On my walk I came across ‘No Milk Today’ which was one of the greatest vegan places I found in Berlin, it had it all and the food was great.


No Milk Today (Fichtestr. 3 (at Kreuzberg), Berlin, Germany, 10967).


Review:
https://www.happycow.net/reviews/no-milk-today-berlin-42938


I walked to see Un Autre Voodoo (Hasenheide 54, 10967 Berlin Kreuzberg), now it looked like the shop is closed.


I took the public transport and I went of at ‘Weinmeister-Str’ station to see Umasan (Linienstraße 40, 10119 Berlin) which apparently disappeared as well.


Then I tried to find Konk (Kleine Hamburger Straße 15, 10117 Berlin Mitte) and never found it.

Normally I had planned to visit Chapati as well, now I run out of time and I any way know them very well via L’Envol du Colibri in Belgium.

I took the public transport and I went off at ‘Warschauer Str’ station to have dinner 19h @ The Bowl (Warschauer Str. 33, 10243 Berlin-Friedrichshain).


Review:
https://www.happycow.net/reviews/the-bowl-berlin-57986


A wonderful day with great vegan food (which you can find in almost each restaurant a proposal of), which is really not expensive at all, so please make sure to let some tip on the counter of the vegan only restaurants!

As a minimalist try to be, I nevertheless bought a shirt (to exchange against 2 others I will get rid of) @ Standard Saubere Sachen from Stanley & Stella a fair-trade Belgian brand.


Besides this shop, for me the place to be in Berlin for vegan shopping is around the 2 veganz supermarkets, the one at Schivelbeiner Str. 34 10439 Berlin and the one at Warschauer Straße 33, 10243 Berlin.

Have fun and especially let me know if you found another must visit fair-trade, ethical or vegan shops in Berlin!

#peace #goodfood #nature #fruitsandvegetables #vegan #veganberlin #fairtradeberlin #ethicalberlin #ShoppingBerlin #VeganAvenue #SchivelbeinerStrasse #Veganz #Avesu #DearGoods #Loveco #Stoffbruch #TheBowl #DieRebellionDesZimtsterns #StandardSaubereSachen #Möeon #HomageStore #NoMilkToday #Chapati #LEnvolduColibri #Stanley&Stella

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten